Wanna see what's inside my makeup bag? Thanks to Galore Magazine, now you can! I had so much fun sitting down with Jamie from Galore in Chicago earlier this month to chat about beauty and more!
Inside Green Girl Erin Schrode's Makeup Bag
by Jamie Newman
When I first met Erin Schrode, she greeted me, without hesitation, with a big hug and a sugary-sweet, genuine smile (she later tells me that a smile is “the most disarming gesture you can make.”) The bright and bubbly 24-year-old and self-proclaimed “green girl” is out to save the world. Since she was 13, she has been working tirelessly to educate and advocate environmental sustainability, working alongside the likes of everyone from students, to corporations, to international governments and coalitions in order to inspire sustainable, eco-friendly practices across the world.
It’s not difficult to tell that Erin is extremely passionate about her work. She speaks with an infectious energy and blunt honesty that easily translates into the fact that this girl damn-well knows what she’s talking about, and she absolutely loves what she does.
From the reusable utensil set made of bamboo that she carries in her purse to the glass mason jar she nonchalantly asks the barista to fill with coffee at a Starbucks we stop at, Erin is completely dedicated to her eco-conscious lifestyle and, in turn, starting conversations to raise awareness about sustainability wherever she goes. And although she realizes not everyone is going to be as devout in protecting the environment as she is, she lets me know that it isn’t hard for everyone to begin making small changes in their daily routines and becoming more aware of their not-so-green habits (Erin, you’ll be happy to know I haven’t taken a straw at Starbucks since we met).
For many, the first place to start turning eco-friendly is your makeup bag. With a plethora of natural, organic and vegan products on the market today, there is really no excuse not to. Erin shared with me some of her favorite, tried-and-true brands of makeup that she always keeps in her bag. In her own words and with her seal of approval, she says, “hold me to it, this shit rocks.”
1. Pangea Organics is a line based out of Boulder, Colorado and started by one of Erin’s best friends. Shown here is Pangea’s Body Polish, made with cocoa and shea butters and Brazilian brown sugar, but Erin also loves their lip balms, shower products and more. Bonus: its packaging is both compostable AND plantable (that’s right, it’s made with seeds).
2. For a daily moisturizer, Erin swears by Acure Organics. Acure Organics Day Cream is made with all fair trade certified ingredients. Gotu Kola Stem Cells and 1% Chlorella Growth Factor work together to help you skin protect itself against environmental damages while helping collagen and elasticity.
3. When sculpting and defining her brows, Erin turns to Jane Iredale. The brand’sBitty Brow Kit includes brushes, transparent botanical wax and pigmented powder. Erin is such a believer in the brand, Jane Iredale has even named one of her lipsticks after her.
4. “I always have red nails,” Erin says as she whips a bottle of top coat from her bag. For nails, Erin turns to Priti NYC polishes, shown in red here for Erin’s favorite shade. Priti prides itself on being 5-free (free from Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP), Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin and Camphor).
5. Of course, all of Erin’s cosmetics were tucked into a makeup bag made from organic cotton. Shown is a good option from RIJIgreen, which not only is made from sustainable and reused materials, but also gives back to the Indian women that make the bags who were victims of human trafficking, giving them economic independence and a second chance at life.
6. Erin uses Desert Essence shampoo and conditioner for her hair. She usually uses their red raspberry formula because of its “yummy” scent.
7. For almost every type of cleaning (body, house or otherwise), Erin swears by Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soap in Lavender. Last year, when she traveled to India for a month, all Erin brought for her showers was a 2 oz. bottle of Dr. Bronner’s soap. “Wash you hair, wash your dog, wash your clothes, wash your floor, wash your car, wash anything and everything.” (Hey Dr. Bronner’s, I think we have a new slogan for you!)
8. As a face highlighter, Erin’s go-to product is living luminizer by RMS beauty. The satiny pearl cream can be applied anywhere with just your finger. It doesn’t get easier than that.
Get the full scoop over at Galore!